Shadi sounds note of caution ahead of league resumption

الجمعة، 08 أبريل 2011 - 17:12

كتب : Sherif Tarek

Ismaili defender Shadi Mohamed says security measures must be stepped up in order for the Egyptian Premier League to resume Wednesday.

The former Ahli skipper had earlier urged the Egyptian FA to call off the competition this season, citing lack of security.

The league was set to be cancelled after thousands of Zamalek's fans invaded the Cairo Stadium pitch in the dying minutes of a Champions League game with Club Africain on 2 April.

The massive free-for-all saw several Africain players and Algerian referee Mohamed Maknouz assaulted. Security personnel were quite helpless amid the turmoil.

However, the Egyptian authorities eventually gave the FA the green light to restart the league competition, which prompted Shadi to sound a note of caution.

"The league mustn't re-commence if there is a 1% doubt that all matches are fully secured," he told FilGoal.com.

"I know that football is a lot of people's bread and butter and I really respect that, but the safety of the citizens is more important than anything."

The league has been stopped since the 25-January Revolution, which resulted in the overthrow of ex-president Hosni Mubarak on 11 February.

The Egyptian Cup has already been canceled.

نرشح لكم

أخر الأخبار

التعليقات

قد ينال إعجابك