The Egyptian Ministry of Interior has officially rejected the resumption of football activity in the near future, the FA announced on Sunday.
With all football competitions suspended since the Port-Said disaster last February, the new season in Egypt was expected to start next month.
But FA spokesman Azmi Megahed confirmed that a request to kick off the Premier League on August 24 has been rejected, a few weeks after announcing that the association had been given the green light.
“Following our request to start the Premier League on August 24 and resume Egypt Cup matches behind closed doors, the Interior Ministry has officially announced its refusal to stage any football matches,” Megahed told the FA’s website.
The news means that Ahli and Zamalek will continue to play continental home games behind closed doors.
Football in Egypt has been rocked by the February 1 Port-Said incident that claimed the lives of some 74 Ahli supporters following a league clash with Masri.
It is believed that Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim is reluctant to give the order of resuming football games amid his doubts that Egyptian stadiums are well-secured to confront any similar incident.