Egypt coach Bob Bradley revealed why he preferred to play without an advanced forward in the previous two games while blaming the media for the speculation about Emad Meteb.
The American guided Egypt to victory in his first two competitive games in charge, beating Mozambique and Guinea in the World Cup qualifiers.
The two wins, which saw Egypt score five goals, came in the absence of the likes of Meteb and Amr Zaki, who were usually regulars upfront under former manager Hassan Shehata.
“I think the classic striker role no more exists. No one should stand still inside the box and wait for the ball,” Bradley told a press conference.
“A striker has defensive duties, he helps his teammates in build-up play and must always be well-positioned inside the area.
“Any player who doesn’t understand this will not be playing for Egypt.”
Bradley slams media over Meteb
Bradley, who has been very friendly to the media since taking the helm last year, couldn’t hide his frustration at the recent speculation around Ahli striker Meteb.
“There is no problem with Meteb. I said before that he presented the proof of his injury before the Guinea match,” the former USA manager said.
“I don’t know why every time you ask about Meteb. It seems you are the ones who want to create a problem.”
Meteb pulled out of the Guinea trip after claiming he had an ear infection, an excuse that was hardly swallowed by the media in Egypt.
The 29-year-old will also miss Friday’s game against Central African Republic in the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.